Nurse Jackie First look

I had the chance to screen Showtime's new dark-comedy series: Nurse Jackie today. While I must admit to having only minor acquaintance with HBO'S mega-hit Mob series The Sopranos, I will say that Edie Falco--Main character Tony Soprano's diva-ish wife in the series-- has always had a star quality which was immediately recognizable. Now, several years after the last high note on The Soprano's set has been sung, Falco scrubs-up to play Nurse Jackie, a pain-killer addicted workaholic mother straddling the line between caring nurse and addict. The premise for the 30-minute pilot was strong enough; place the very capable Falco in a hospital with know-it-all doctors and trainee nurses and watch as she holds the place together in the face of death,(her personal) addiction, and staff incompetency. Nurse Jackie looks good on a 1080p set [not sure what the original brodcast ratio is]. There is also some great--but not so happy--imagery in between scenes which also looks swell in HD. The shows music quality lagged throughout though--something I hope they fix.

Another fixable but damnable aspect of the pilot was the predictable writing and [some] awkward casting. Falco though, seemed to soar above these limitations, by envisioning a deeply-flawed, lovable character and bringing her to the set day one. Showtime is a good venue for this series and I believe that the network should allow Jackie the chance to vaccinate audiences with her intriguing personal story before fleshing-out other characters more. There is a lot to like with Jackie but after seeing the pilot, I believe Falco--like the druggie nurse--has to shoulder the weight for everyone else, at least until the writing becomes more compelling.

--Aaron

0 comments:

Post a Comment