What does an insane Eiffel tower, a diabolical orchestra, and evil robots from the future have in common. Well for one they are all about to catch a beat down in this first volume of "The Umbrella Academy" (Apocalypse Suite). "The Umbrella Academy" is about an outlandish group of superheroes who come together at their alien father’s funeral to stop the Orchestra Verdamten and it’s conductor from destroying the world. This first volume includes all six issues of the apocalypse suite, and some early sketches.
"The Umbrella Academy" is the brainchild of Gerard Way who is best known for being the lead singer of the band "My Chemical Romance". The story art which I liked and would love to see in other comics is created by Gabriel Bá, while the cover art is done by James Jean who also does the cover art for the Fables series. To say that "The Umbrella Academy" is just about a family reunion from hell is a bit of an understatement. This comic had everything action, gore, a chimpanzee wearing glasses and yet I still could not get into it. It felt very similar to "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen", but I loved that series so why not this one? I think what threw me off was the lack of character & environment development, it’s as if you were supposed to automatically know that the Eiffel Tower eats people and I did not learn that in school (damn public schools!)
6.5/10
--StrangeContainerOfPudding!!!
0 comments:
Post a Comment